Free Shipping Over $59
Aerospray Watercolor FixativeList Price: $28.15
Our Price: $23.95
Trusted by artists since 2015.
Encrypted, Secure Checkout
Quick & Safe Shipping
✓ Accepted at checkout:
About This Product
We're constantly asked on social media whether there is a good solution for fixing watercolor on paper to protect it from moisture and dust. Our answer has always been "put it in a frame," because fixing watercolor is a technical challenge. Since it is a water-based medium, many varnishes will make watercolors run or change their color. As a result, very few watercolor fixatives have been successfully formulated, manufactured, and offered to artists.
Now, we're happy to have a new answer to this FAQ: you can use Schmincke Aerospray fixative to finish your watercolor paintings! Apply Aerospray in thin layers with the easy-to-use aerosol can, and it won't cause color shifts or damage. In our studio test, Aerospray caused absolutely no change to the paint or paper; even the original matte finish was perfectly preserved.
Aerospray is colorless, non-yellowing, age-resistant, and fast-drying. Please note the manufacturer's instructions and safety notes below. Because this is a flammable aerosol, orders containing this product will ship via a ground service of our choice.
Packaged in a 300 mL can. Made in Germany.
Please read these safety and use instructions from Schmincke before you use Aerospray:
- Shake well before use.
- Spray at room temperature by moving the can from one side to the other and from top to bottom and holding the can at a distance of 30 – 40 cm from the vertically positioned or slightly inclined and completely dry object. (Make the change in spray direction away from the picture!)
- The level of gloss depends in accordance to absorbance of the surface, painting technique and the thickness of the film.
- The subsequent fixing of the surface of a picture produced using materials low in binding agents like water-colours or gouache colors may cause the colour shade to become significantly darker. Using too much fixative frequently causes a loss of “lightness”. The product may also makes the support, for example the paper, more transparent.
- The fixative coats normally used in practice give no special UV protection to the paints used! For this reason, we recommend that you use high-quality and lightfast artists' paints from the outset as far as possible.
- For the ideal protection of water-colour paintings we additionally recommend using special glass for frames.
- Any clogged-up spray heads are best cleaned using acetone.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Protect from sunlight and do not expose to temperatures exceeding 50°C (122°F).
- Individual pre-tests are required.