- Aerospray Watercolor Fixative
Aerospray Watercolor Fixative
You Save: $4.20 (15%)
We're constantly asked on social media whether there is a good solution for fixing watercolor on paper to protect it from moisture and dust. Our answer has always been "put it in a frame," because fixing watercolor is a technical challenge. Since it is a water-based medium, many varnishes will make watercolors run or change their color. As a result, very few watercolor fixatives have been successfully formulated, manufactured, and offered to artists.
Now, we're happy to have a new answer to this FAQ: you can use Schmincke Aerospray fixative to finish your watercolor paintings! Apply Aerospray in thin layers with the easy-to-use aerosol can, and it won't cause color shifts or damage. In our studio test, Aerospray caused absolutely no change to the paint or paper; even the original matte finish was perfectly preserved.
Aerospray is colorless, non-yellowing, age-resistant, and fast-drying. Please note the manufacturer's instructions and safety notes below. Because this is a flammable aerosol, orders containing this product will ship via a ground service of our choice.
Packaged in a 300 mL can. Made in Germany.
Please read these safety and use instructions from Schmincke before you use Aerospray:
- Shake well before use.
- Spray at room temperature by moving the can from one side to the other and from top to bottom and holding the can at a distance of 30 – 40 cm from the vertically positioned or slightly inclined and completely dry object. (Make the change in spray direction away from the picture!)
- The level of gloss depends in accordance to absorbance of the surface, painting technique and the thickness of the film.
- The subsequent fixing of the surface of a picture produced using materials low in binding agents like water-colours or gouache colors may cause the colour shade to become significantly darker. Using too much fixative frequently causes a loss of “lightness”. The product may also makes the support, for example the paper, more transparent.
- The fixative coats normally used in practice give no special UV protection to the paints used! For this reason, we recommend that you use high-quality and lightfast artists' paints from the outset as far as possible.
- For the ideal protection of water-colour paintings we additionally recommend using special glass for frames.
- Any clogged-up spray heads are best cleaned using acetone.
- Store in a cool and dry place.
- Protect from sunlight and do not expose to temperatures exceeding 50°C (122°F).
- Individual pre-tests are required.
We ship all orders from our store in St. Louis, Missouri. 95% of orders are processed in 1-2 business days (Wednesday through Sunday). Shipping to the United States is always free for orders over $59. For orders under $59, domestic shipping rates start at $3.50. You can calculate your shipping cost in the cart or at checkout. For St. Louis residents, we also offer free curbside pickup. Just select "Pick Up" on the first page of checkout.
If there's a problem with your order, please contact our customer service team at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your order is damaged or defective, we will send you a prepaid return label and replace the item immediately. If you change your mind about an order, you can ship it back to us in new condition for a refund or exchange. However, if there is no error on our part, we cannot refund shipping charges or pay for return shipping. The deadline for all returns is 30 days from the delivery date. All clearance items, including our famous Mystery Box, are final sale.
We are an independent retailer trusted by artists since 2015, and our expert staff are happy to help you with any questions you might have about our products and services. We love helping our customers choose colors, build gift packages for friends, and get started with new tools and materials. We can also take special orders for items not listed on this site.
10 AM to 5 PM Central Time,
Wednesday through Sunday